Google+ Followers

Saturday, 19 July 2014

Your word(s) is as good as you!!! Create or Destroy???

 
Words… They can have so much power yet be so simple at the same time. The funny thing about them is; they are powerless until we put power behind them, by intent or act. We can use them to hurt or to help each other.
Many people put truth behind their words. Other put lies. Be careful of the power you put behind your words because in this world, Intention is everything.


We know that God created the world by speaking it into existence. The world was framed by the Word of God. He created the visible world out of nothing. A true born again Christian should frame, form, and create their world by the spoken Word of God. We read in the Old Testament that the spoken word is very powerful and the spoken word by God was used to create the world and create all that is or will ever be...
Words are often times used to shield us and to bring alive dead situations. Sometimes it seems easier to hate than to hurt. Hate is a powerful word. Hate, like Love is used a lot of times to mean more than one thing and to convey more than one feeling. It’s not unusual to despise a situation or a set of circumstances and then to transfer that emotion onto the person we feel caused it” - Hill Harper

 

My elder sister once consoled me with this saying when I was wrongly accused by some set of people close to our family. She said ALABA, "Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you".  You know what, is a lie because It is a rhyme that elderly people or parent gives to their children to basically say "don't let what people SAYS break you". I personally think she was just trying to boost my confident and release me from insecurity but it is an ugly lie because the truth is, words hurt and it can destroy life once spoken.  A lot of times it’s not the words that was spoken but more like the mouth the words came from.
 
For example, it probably wouldn't hurt  me for a stranger to tell me that I am ugly but if someone I have a deep passion for or love was to tell me that I am ugly and not good enough then that will affect me. Whether I act on that WORDS or not is one thing but deep inside it will hurt because in fact the person who said it means something to Me.


I'm going to give you two situations which happened to me without going into too much details.
Example 1: A friend of mine got pregnant last year and she was in a complicated relationship, this affected her Christianity to the extent that she felt like an outcast. During her pregnancy I didn't know she was even pregnant. I just remember her saying if she was to get pregnant she wouldn't keep it and so on and so forth. One day we sat down and had a long talk and we pray and cry together. I spoke highly of the blessing of having a child. Some women aren't able to conceive so for you to get pregnant is amazing. I told her a lot of positive things. I encouraged her that I will ALWAYS be there if she needs someone to talk to. Recently I went to her house to do my hair and she told me she was pregnant and it was because of me she decided to keep the baby. She was happy until she had a miscarriage. I was hurt and delighted somehow because my simple words to her changed her decision. I then began to tell her, the miscarriage was just a way of God stating, it wasn't time.

 
 
Example 2: There was this lady I met when I was admitted in the hospital last year. We are four in one room nobody talks to each other because we were all in a lot of pain. This lady cries all the time and it beyond control nobody knew what was wrong with her, the Doctors said there is nothing wrong with her that she should go home. Even though I was not feeling well too, I felt the need to say something nice to her and be friendly with her. One afternoon, I went to her bedside and I asked her if I can sit down with her and have a chat, she said yes, I told her I am a Christian and I hope she wouldn’t mind if I pray with her and she said yes…. I was beyond shocked. I began to thank God silently within me and I went ahead praying with her and sharing the word of hope with her. To be honest, I don’t really know what was wrong with her but I felt it was DEPRESSION.
After we finished praying she hugged me and said I just wanted to thank you for praying with me because I am okay now. Later on it hit me, why of all people she wanted me to talk to her and she did not even wanted to listen to what the Doctor, nurse and her husband have to say because the more they told her she is OKAY the more she CRIES. Of course after me, she spoke to few people that came to visit her but it placed a soft spot on my heart. In the midst of someone on their hospital bed, because of the positive attitude I have, that person that I barely know want to hear me speak and pray with her. That did something to me. What actually make this story a good one to remember was that I went to the hospital not knowing I could be admitted. I have nothing to change with and I told God quietly that I need a pyjama, not knowing this lady have been looking at me because through out my stay in the hospital all I do is to wear hospital cloth and use the hospital personal hygiene stuff. On the day I prayed, use my personal life as an example to cheer her up, her husband and their two lovely sons came to visit her and they went out for a stroll on their way back to her hospital bed she bought me a pyjamas and a book.  
I am sharing all of these stories to say:
 
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY TO PEOPLE. BE IT GOOD OR BAD. LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SAY DESTRUCTIVE AND HURTFUL THINGS TO PEOPLE. IF YOU ARE CROSS AND ANGRY AT SOMEONE TAKE THE TIME TO THINK ABOUT YOUR SITUATION. TAKE YOUR FEELINGS OUT OF IT AND SPEAK TO THEM WITH COMMON SENSE. IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU'VE EVER WANTED TO SAY TO SOMEONE FROM YOUR PAST, SAY IT AND MOVE ON. WORDS HAVE POWER. ONCE YOU SAY SOMETHING OR SPEAK SOMETHING INTO EXISTENCE, YOU CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. THAT ENERGY IS ALREADY IN GYRATION.

                                     Yours truly, Alaba :)

2 comments:

  1. words indeed carry power. its important to us as humans to guard our selves properly whrn we are told these ill words. personally, when someone tells me something negative, i sob for a while, but then again I have this knowing that your words cannot change me. I know for a fact that no one can make me feel sad or happy unless I give em d license to do so.

    ReplyDelete